A cooking and baking journal

Mr. Twinkie, Meet Mr. Peach

3/29/09: Sponge Cake with Peaches and Whipped Topping

  • Sources: Annemarie's Betty Crocker cookbook. The title of the sponge cake recipe is "Inexpensive Sponge Cake." The idea of adding peaches and whipped topping came from the book also.
  • Defining moments: First time baking sponge cake. And what I hear from Papa, this would be the first time he had homemade sponge cake. Last but not least, I am using our frozen peaches from last year! Yay!
  • What I learned: I learned that frozen peaches may not be as firm as the canned ones but they sure are good, nonetheless! I also learned that decorating a cake is, well to put it mildly, FUN. :) Especially when it comes to layered cakes.
The recipe said to use boiling milk for the sponge cake but after some advice from Annemarie I decided to heat the milk to the almost-boiling stage. I add the milk to eggs so you can see why I chose to do it this way. Scrambled eggs in a cake batter. . . I've never seen it before in real life but I did catch a glimpse of it on a Food Network show. Hehehe.
One last thing: I learned that whipped topping came in a box! Never knew that one. I used a boxed version called Dream Whip.

  • How it tasted: Better than a Twinkie, I think! I had a lot of good feedback and I now declare the Sponge Cake as my favorite type of cake.
  • How about a 2nd time? I have 2 1/2 quarts of peaches left, so absolutely.







"In the golden lightning
Of the sunken sun,
O'er which clouds are brightening.
Thou dost float and run,
Like an unbodied joy whose race is just begun."

An excerpt from the poem "To a Skylark," written by Percy Shelley. I was reading this poem for school around the time I made the cake and I believe it goes very well with the golden peaches and the clouds of whipped topping, don't you think? And the cake certainly did give joy to those who had a piece! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment