A cooking and baking journal

Basil Bliss -- Tomato and Basil Pizza from Scratch

7/4/10: Tomato and Basil Pizza

Meal details: The sole dish comprised of a tomato, mozzarella and basil pizza. I used pizza dough made from scratch, our homemade tomato sauce, and fresh basil from my herb garden. Talk about homemade!

Defining moments: I've made pizza before many a time (both from scratch, the mix, and frozen), so nothing new for me this week.

Recipe sources: The pizza dough recipe came from the basic recipe section of the 2500 Recipes from Everyday to Extraordinary cookbook. The toppings idea, however, comes from yours truly.

What I learned: There is one thing that stands out for me with this pizza, and that is the sauce I used. I used my family's homemade tomato sauce (which we use as spaghetti sauce so it has all kinds of flavors. . . Peppers, onions, garlic, and different seasonings), and this is something I haven't used as a pizza sauce. I thought it might be kind of liquid-y but after 30 minutes of reducing, it was perfectly thick. And about the addition of the basil. I knew from my Le Hog Pizza experience that sensitive ingredients like thin cut meat or basil will burn if added at the beginning. That is why I sprinkled chopped basil before I added the cheese and added the final basil leaves during the last ten minutes of cooking.

A little side note here. I used one quart of tomato sauce for two 14" pizzas.

Any modifications? I followed the dough recipe exactly.

How did it taste? It was fantastic! The dough was crispy and chewy at the same time. But you know, with all that flavor packed sauce, the gooey mozzarella, and fresh basil, I can't see why it wouldn't!

How about a 2nd time? Absolutely.














No comments:

Post a Comment