A cooking and baking journal

My Little Gray Cells

6/28/09: Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
  • Meal details: Sandwiches were comprised of mozzarella cheese, ham, and St. Joseph's Day Bread.
  • Recipe sources: My little gray cells were at work this week so this recipe will be labeled "original." Pretty neat, huh?
  • Defining moments: Coming out with a recipe all on my own is one special moment for moi. Another one would be using the HUGE non-stick griddle. I have never really used it before. Every time I see it being pulled out for pancakes, french toast, or grilled cheese sandwiches, I think to myself, "I do have a large family, don't I?" :)
  • What I learned: I made the St. Joseph's Day Bread the day before and I discovered that I have to make 1 and 1/2 loaves in order to make sixteen sandwiches/pieces. I'm glad I decided to bake it beforehand, I would have ended up spending hours in the kitchen on Sunday. I also learned a good technique in melting the cheese. Since the pieces of bread for the sandwiches were rather thick the heat from the griddle wasn't able to reach the cheese. The best way to do this is to layer the sandwich in the following sequence: slice of bread, cheese, then ham. Place this portion of the sandwich ham-down on the griddle and wait until the cheese melts. Then add the second piece of bread on top. A side note: I buttered both sides of the bread with melted butter.
  • How it tasted? I really liked it, it was warm, buttery, and cheesy--all you would want in a sandwich. And I believe everyone enjoyed it, too.
  • How about a 2nd time? Yes.





No comments:

Post a Comment