A cooking and baking journal

My First Slice of Homemade Whole Wheat Bread

12/27/09: Chicken with Fresh Orange Cranberry Sauce and Whole Wheat Bread

Meal details: For the main course I browned some chicken breasts and made an orange, cranberry sauce to go with them. To round out the meal I made an artisan whole wheat bread.

Defining moments: First time making a whole wheat bread. And the first time I tasted orange and cranberry together.

Recipe sources: The sauce recipe came from the 1978 cookbook called The Vegetarian Epicure Book Two. My family and I are not close to being vegetarian, by the way! I found this recipe on the internet when I was searching for sauces that will pair well with chicken. You can find the recipe here.
The whole wheat bread recipe came from the newly published book, Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day, written by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois. It is the "Master Recipe" found in the book.

What I learned: What quickly comes to mind is learning a whole new way to bake bread. The Healthy Bread in Five book showed me how to make bread dough that I don't have to knead and how to make a bread with a nice chewy crust and a soft crumb.

Any modifications? No, I followed both recipes exactly.

How it tasted? Both the chicken and the bread tasted good! Everyone liked the sweet--tart--savory combination of the sauce and the bread was outstanding.

How about a 2nd time? Yes, to both recipes.










No comments:

Post a Comment