A cooking and baking journal

I'm in a Sweet Pickle

9/29/09: Canning Sweet Pickle Relish

The day after I did the tomato puree with the pressure canner, I canned some sweet pickle relish. My family uses this relish on hot dogs mostly, but I love to add it to a ham sandwich every now and then!

The recipe came from the Ball Blue Book of Preserving, like the one seen here. I have the 2005 edition. I did four times the recipe. . . Well, sort of. I did kind of change some amounts (like the sugar) so I'll state my version of the recipe here:

4 quarts cucumbers OR pickles (ground, using the food processor)
2 quarts onions
2 quarts bell peppers
1 cup salt
4 cups sugar
4 tablespoons celery seed
4 tablespoons mustard seed
2 quarts apple cider vinegar, with 5% acidity.

Combine cucumbers, onions, peppers, in a large bowl; sprinkle with salt and cover with cold water. Let stand 2 hours. Drain; rinse and drain thoroughly. Combine sugar, spices and vinegar in a large saucepot. Bring to a boil. Add drained vegetables; simmer 10 minutes. Pack hot relish into hot jars, leaving 1/4" headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner.

I made about 14 and 2/3 pints.



And here is a pic of the relish used in a very natural setting.





No comments:

Post a Comment