A cooking and baking journal

A Cake for Mary -- Immaculate Heart Cake

12/08/09: Immaculate Heart Cake in honor of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception (Dec. 8)

Dessert Details: I don't often get a chance to bake/cook outside my Sunday time slot, but this week was an exception. December 8 is the Feast of the Immaculate Conception of Mary, and the day just had to have a cake to help celebrate. I made a three layer devils food cake that was frosted with Traditional Chocolate Buttercream, Traditional Buttercream, and a Creamy White Icing was used for the filling.
I also made this cake because Duff Goodman, the host of The Ace of the Cakes on Food Network, was the next chef in line for me. I am a member of the Food Network Chef Cooking Challenge that is being hosted by the writer of the I Blame My Mother blog. Learn more about this fun challenge here.

The Creamy White Icing came from the 1950 edition of Betty Crocker's Picture Cookbook. Here is the recipe:

Creamy White Icing

Ingredients:
  • 3 tbsp. shortening
  • 3 tbsp. butter
  • 2 tbsp. flour
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 6 tbsp. milk
  • 2 1/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
  • 1/3 tsp. vanilla
Instructions:
Melt shortening and butter in saucepan. Remove from heat and blend in flour and salt. Stir milk in slowly. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in sugar and vanilla. Beat until right consistency to spread. Yield: 1 1/2 cups.

So bring on the cake. . .






There was a lot of carving involved when making this cake. But the scraps didn't go to waste, I placed them all into a 9" square pan and made a "crumb" cake. :) Everyone liked it!





This was my first attempt at making buttercream roses.



1 comment:

  1. Very nice! Sorry about the links on that post being closed. I'll try to fix it. I attempted rose on a cake a few months back...Im sure with pratice they would be easier. yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete