A cooking and baking journal

A Food Network Feast

10/18/09: Super Sloppy Joes and Oat Cake with Warm Blueberry-Lemon Sauce

Meal Details: For the main course I made homemade Sloppy Joes and for dessert I made an oat cake served with a warm blueberry sauce.

Defining moments: I've done these Sloppy Joes before and the oat cake didn't hold any surprises. So no momentous occasion for this week.

Recipe sources: The Super Sloppy Joes is a Rachael Ray recipe and the Oat Cake is a recipe created by Bobby Flay. The blueberry sauce is a Tyler Florence recipe. Gosh, lots of Food Network chefs this week! Lol! To see my first attempt with the Sloppy Joes see my previous post here. I specifically chose the Oat Cake by Bobby Flay because I am part of the Food Network Challenge that is being hosted by the writer of the I Blame My Mother blog. Learn more about this fun challenge by visiting this page. I know, I know, why on earth did I choose a baked item from Bobby Flay? He said on many occasions that his talents do not lie in the realm of baking. Well, to simply put it: I couldn't find anything in his Food Network recipe archive! His cuisine just doesn't match my family's. Sorry Chef!

What I learned: I learned as soon as I mentioned making Sloppy Joes again that Annemarie and Papa really liked the last Sloppy Joes I made. I mean really liked. I was glad to find that one out!

Any modifications: I did adjust some of the ingredient amounts for the Sloppy Joes so I will write out my ingredient list here for next time. And if Annemarie or Papa have a say in it, I think that next time will be very soon. :)

4 pounds ground beef
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons ground pepper
4 medium onions
3 medium bell peppers
4 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
4 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
32 oz. (1 quart) of tomato sauce; I used our homemade tomato puree
12 oz. of tomato paste, optional (if you omit the paste, your mixture will just not be as thick, which isn't always a bad thing)

How it tasted? The Sloppy Joes were wonderful once again! And I think Bobby Flay has redeemed himself with the Oat Cake. He may have lost the Wedding Cake Throwdown but he's a winner here. The Oat Cake has the texture of Pumpkin Squares with a wonderful oatmeal cookie flavor. My brother mentioned that cream cheese frosting would be great with this dessert.

How about a 2nd time? Yes, for both recipes.








1 comment:

  1. You are right, I don't think of Bobby Flay and baking together. This looks great though. When I checkedout his Mesa Grill cookbook from the library, it had a few baked goods that I wanted to try. The blueberry sauce looks scrumptious! Thanks for cooking with us :)

    ReplyDelete