A cooking and baking journal

Apple Sweet Potato Bake : An Easter Treat

4/4/10 : Apple Sweet Potato Bake

Meal details: Since it was Easter Sunday, I only did the side dish part of the meal and the ham was taken care of by my Papa. The side dish I chose to do was an apple and sweet potato type of casserole and was flavored with warm spices, such as nutmeg and allspice.

Defining moments: First time for me cooking with sweet potatoes and first time combining sweet potatoes and apples. Interesting combination, don't you think?

Recipe sources: I found this recipe on the Taste of Home website. Check it out here.

What I learned: This was a very easy dish to put together, so easy that I cannot think of anything to write here. I'm glad I chose a simple recipe being it Easter and all!

Any modifications? Yes. I didn't use as much brown sugar as the recipe called for. I thought the 3/4 cup was overkill so I used about a 1/2 cup.
A little side note. . . I prepared the sweet potatoes by peeling them, cutting lengthwise, and baking them for about 40 minutes in a 350 degree oven. I then cut them in 1/4 slices and added them to the casserole dish.

How it tasted? It was well received by the entire 'Easter Parade.' :D The sweetness of the sweet potatoes went well with the spices and the tender Northern Spy apples I used. Very delicious!

How about a 2nd time? Absolutely!

Sweet Potato and Apple Bake

Sweet Potato and Apple Bake

Sweet Potato and Apple Bake

No comments:

Post a Comment